Tots and late night chats

Last night was an interesting one at our apt. We all went to the relief society activity, submitted the lamest (is that EVEN a word? "w" for "whatevs") White Elephant gifts (candy from Neltje's purse. Oops we forgot to bring presents), then spent an hour or two in primarily silence. That was the weird part. Usually we are bouncing off the walls, hucking things at each other, or screaming so loudly in a challenge to break the sound barrier. But we were just...quiet... and it was...PLEASANT. You don't have to be going a bajillion miles an hour to be a useful member of society. Who even knew?
The night progressed and we turned on Thumbelina because Ames wanted to. I was going to update my blog during the movie, but I just felt so... desensitized. Why not watch a movie without trying to knock three things off the to-do-list? I need to really enjoy those slow moments when they come instead of bombarding my life incessantly with tasks every minute of every day. If I learn to be productive in the time I set aside for productivity, I can relax during the time I set aside for relaxation. So I turned off the laptop. And turned off my phone. It honestly did feel relieving to get rid of the ties that keep connected. Sometimes you just need you time. Or to sit and enjoy a cheesy movie with your friends. Genuinely laugh at something without feeling the need to update your 7 most frequented facebook status about it. Live for you. Sure, share moments with people. We love connections. I love when my friend posts a funny quote on my wall. But tell you what, when you cut the digital cords, you really are liberated. I'm glad I kept technology tuned out, because we had a blast making connections from characters into real life. Ames is Thumbelina; Whitney changed identities, Neltje the frog mama, and I landed as the dog.

Neltje and I ran off IN OUR ONESIES to invite Ryan to join our ice skating adventure for the following day. We ended up staying and chatting for about 15 minutes--at which point we realized our tots were done cookin' and if we didn't go home now we risked being locked out (naturally, neither of us had our keys on us). So, with the cost of remaining at apt. 24 high and the benefits dwindling, we scurried home. Tell you what: 'dem tots were GOOD.
Tots bring people together. We had a really neat conversation about being the "real" you, who you show that side to... as well as our thoughts on various topics.
Neltje is becoming a much closer friend. Probably close to that "best friend" status that has been a bit vacant since high school graduation.

Yet again I didn't make it to bed until 2:30. Love life.

Comments

Chloe said…
aw shucks...how come I love it? and you? *unintelligible noises*
keep it as your individual blog.
:) I like it as is!