Bring it all in

December 7 – Community. Where have you discovered community, online or otherwise, in 2010? What community would you like to join, create or more deeply connect with in 2011?

Lugazi, Uganda became my community. I'm not a huge fan of this "online community" stuff, although blogging has brought me in closer contact with former friends. 

I want to connect better with my family community; I have never really been super tight with them, and this is something I hope to change. I want to be able to call any given family member at any moment and have a normal conversation about whatever we have on our mind. Right now sometimes I feel limited by calling only for necessity. We don't give each other enough time. Honestly, I feel that social networking detracts from the familial relationship I hope to really enjoy. Yes, technology will help facilitate access to each other, but not strengthen the ties: we have to do that. Which, I think, is what makes the goal a GOAL: we have to want it. It's not a matter of hopping on facebook and writing on each other's walls: it's a matter of wanting to and doing that in addition to real-life things. 
Isaac gets home in a couple months. I hope to connect with him better. 

Comments