December 5 – Let Go. What (or whom) did you let go of this year? Why?

I rid myself of the thinking that I am unchangeable. I used to believe that if I changed, I was at fault for not staying true to myself and what I felt I was. For example: I used to dress quite obnoxiously--last Fall semester (October/November 2009) I was always wearing radical attire and unconsciously trying to draw attention to myself. Changing my mind on something as simple as what I wear has been a challenge, but something I have done. When I put on more toned colors, I really do feel a tinge of sadness that I have to grow up, but somehow I feel right about allowing myself to change and grow. 
I let go of this "change=wrong" mentality because to fight change is useless: change is inevitable. Whether it be change of housing, roommates, attitude, desires, likes, dislikes, hobbies, friends, social life, perspective... change will come. I had to let go of the idea that I will be tomorrow who I was yesterday, and that if I do change, I am committing a crime against myself. 
I also wanted to change. I felt an innate desire to let myself progress, and I couldn't do that if I didn't let go of the best friendship I had with Malynne, of a former crush whom I will never have, or let go of the idea that I didn't want to date my then boy best friend. 




Comments