A Christmas Reflection

This Christmas break was full of laughing, games, warmth, appreciation, love, and teasing. As a family, we dined "Canton Kitty" (Canton City)--our favorite. I think that is the one place we have eaten as a family. Other than Li'l Caesars and McD's, that is. The latter don't qualify as "dining" out, in my opinion. Dad may have (okay, DOES have) a differing opinion. Gross. We quoted dad's epic quotes such as his ebay username "more friends and junk." The fact he has ebay was comical. Add that he has tried to outbid himself, and you've got a raucous table of eight: the four couples--Mom&Dad, Adrienne&Nathan, Melissa&Adam, and.....Kristie&Cec? Sure.
We created a Facebook for daddio--add him. Mark Francisco. He still doesn't do his own facebooking, but we thought it time that he reconnect with all his high school besties... that is...all two of 'em.
Christmas naturally brought happiness, peace, and gratitude. So much time and effort were put into preparations, be it the cousin get-together, Adrienne's baby shower, Christmas Day itself with gifts given to parallel the gifts of the wise men.
For the first time in my life, I tried to bring a spiritual element to Christmas Day. In the past, it's about opening gifts, being all happy, and going on with life with the additional goods you received. This year every time I thought of giving or receiving presents, I reminded myself why those were given so many centuries ago--to honor the birth of the Savior of the World. And we have an opportunity every year to re-live that moment by giving gifts to each other. I don't think the wise men looked around their homes, found the most inexpensive gift, and shoddily covered it, offering the gift. I think they pondered on what had value, took great care to present it to the baby who would one day redeem them from their sins. I think this first gift offering was special, tender, and not an expectation.

Comments