What is this "contribute to society"?

What is this "contribute to society" of which we speak? Society isn't just one massive being: all too easily we forget "society" is every single person we encounter. Every person with a story, with fears, hopes, dreams. So really, by being a positive, encouraging, happy person when you talk to or interact with any other person-you ARE contributing to society. Right then, right there. I'm struggling to find a career path which "contributes to society" and balances the one day role of wife and mother I also want to fill, and I'm realizing that this goal to save the world as a whole really is accomplished only through individual acts of kindness and charity.
So really, we would not be wrong to shout triumphantly that, "I contributed to society!!" when we smile at someone.



With these joyous thoughts on my mind as I skipped home from campus, I went to my new favorite "Download" place--Apartment 12. I would be happy to talk to ANYONE that happens to be home at the moment, and I was dying to share this breakthrough I felt I'd made. Josh and (briefly) James listened to my less-than-eloquent presentation of this thought. I started, though, to regain a sense of stress as I left as I worried if my meager "contribution to society" idea was adequate enough. Josh said to me these simple words, which left me thinking: "Everything's gonna be okay."
So simple. Everything's gonna be okay. And it is. Okay, that is. It will be okay, but even more than that it is okay.

Comments