I Miss It

Via Facebook, several friends from Uganda contacted me to wish me Merry Christmas. I was touched by this; I know that getting to internet isn't exactly cheap, and that they could have moved on with life and forgotten me, seeing as I was only one volunteer out of the 25 from our group--this YEAR. I replied to them wishing them the best and asking how life is progressing. Remembering on my time in Uganda brings a pang of loneliness. I know I have the ability to help people there. I know I have knowledge which can be used to improve lives, give kids a future, a family, a hope. And what am I doing? Trying to be pretty, trying to be funny, trying to be the kind of person people can like. I put that into perspective of where I was in the summer: I didn't have to try to be any of those things because who I am innately was what shone. (or, I hope it shone). I'm a steward over the personality I have naturally been given, and I need to improve that to go and serve.

In Uganda was a very kind, thoughtful, change-making pastor, Pastor Paul. Actually, I went to his church one week he was preaching. Very interesting and moving. He had a grass-roots organization, Buikwe Village Care,  which works with the community in a very personal way. I miss that. I miss the bottom-up approach.
I miss Uganda in numerous ways:

  • Pastor Paul
  • Rose, his wife
  • Patience, their baby
  • Matoke
  • Power outages
  • Lack of running water
  • Bucket showers
  • Hanging clothes out to dry
  • Kids hanging on our fence calling out, "Muzungu, muzungu!"
  • Kids running up with dirty hands and holding our hands as we walked up the street
  • Our street
  • Eve and Rose, our cooks
  • Sister Ssanyu
  • Wednesday market
  • Gonjas!!!!
  • Chapatti. 
  • Godfrey
  • Godfrey's fuschia ten-speed
  • the ladies from the mushroom house
  • Rose & Paul's orphanage
  • Samuel, from said orphanage
  • Collin, also from orphanage
  • Collin teaching me logrthyms 
  • Bodas
  • the shoe peddler
  • Richard at the internet cafe
  • Alice, our neighbor, teaching me to make a mat without speaking any English.
  • The Church is true no matter what country you're in
  • wearing dresses every day
  • cooking with Eve & Rose
  • doing laundry by hand
  • paying Eve and Rose to do my laundry, and knowing they needed that money
  • the constant rains
  • how the Ugandans "fear rain"
  • getting bananas from the guy down the street
  • stuffy taxi rides
  • TYOM
  • "Obama is the real African hero" song
  • the yogurt
  • the delicacy of powdered milk
  • tic-tac-toe, African style. 
  • the mud huts
  • the neighborhood "chids"
  • going to Rwanda
  • wearing a gomas with Eve, Rose, and Ssanyu
  • walking everywhere
  • trash burning in the street
  • learning Lugandan
  • blending with the African culture by getting my hair plaited and wearing a gomas
  • jajas! (the elderly group)
  • 4th of July at the embassy: the pride I felt for America
  • Kampala
  • Rwanda: the reality of its history
  • journeying back to America

I do not miss having to say good-bye, especially at the orphanage. That ripped my heart out. 


I want to and am planning my return. This time it's time for Africa. 

Comments

Jessie's Jargon said…
All I can say is... Amen. :)