Team Integrity

We accomplished what we came to do.
No, we didn't get on that stage in the limelight and take home the trophy (or the $10,000).
But we represented our school. And through that, our faith

I find this experience interesting on numerous dimensions:
with CUIBE, I didn't feel like a whole part of the team. Our team won, but I didn't feel the buy-in.
with Wake Forest, I gave dedicated focus to researching the company, attempting to understand and apply marketing principles to situations, work with a [diverse] team.. but didn't take the stage.

We represented BYU. We took chocolate-covered-cinammon-bears and gave them to other teams, genuinely cheered them on, but also worked incredibly hard on our own team.

Being back, I find it interesting that when people ask, "How was it?" they really are asking, "Did you win?" If you answer in the negative, then suddenly you accomplished nothing...

Odd how that is.

I learned almost more from not getting on stage than winning. for instance....5 Hour Energy drinks will never be for me. Chick-Fil-a for breakfast is interesting on the stomach. Gray suits are hot. Take video of every moment. Try not to lash out irrationally at teammates at 4:30 a.m. Also, I learned that you can work till you don't think it physically or mentally possible to contribute any more, but sometimes you just don't know what you don't know. and then you start to learn what you don't know when the winning team's strategy is announced. So.... take it, internalize it, learn from it, and return back to BYU with honor.

I feel like I've come back like a dog with its ears tucked down; I feel guilty to BYU faculty who trained and funded us--feel guilty that we didn't win. It's not like we played around. We worked to our best level, but you can't win 'em all. Well... you can if you're Wharton. :) ha ha I just wish expectations to win weren't placed on us, because that's not necessarily growth.


Wake Forest was incredible. Hands down

Comments