unfamiliar titles

last night I was studying in the library right before my final test of the week. My scores progressively improved: my first exam was.... well... something I'm not so thrilled about. The next score was 5% better, and the next 9% higher. Great learning curve, eh?

a normal study habit for me is to burrow myself amongst rows of books which hold no interest to me: the music or science sections usually are best. Being surrounded by books psychologically puts me into "study-mode" and being in the "stacks" doesn't let me talk to people--there ARE no people! The normal ones study at tables, with friends, in cubicles--not in the stacks. Because the books are so far beyond me, I don't distract myself by flipping through pages.

last night, though, I ended up in the Psychology section. as I tried to come up with ways to remember the facts for my upcoming exam, I strolled through the stacks and read titles. sometimes a book caught my eye and I would crack open the old book to flip through and skim the pages.

I thought how maybe I could've been great at psychology. But it's too late. Not that I want to do psych because I hate my major and the path I'm on, but maybe I could've been. If I had, who would I be today? My life has taken me places, though. To think where I'd be had I done a different major... had I gone to a different school. Every choice is an important choice, because every choice shaped and molded me.

TEDx, this conference on campus, talked a lot about identifying your strengths and becoming GREAT at something: to take chances, but not be reckless. to be bold, but not overbearing. I am excited to see where life takes me, and ready to start reading more books with unfamiliar titles.

Comments