discovery





weekend highlights:
  • dad becoming [novicely] Facebook savvy
  • boys playing chess on the computer
  • waving good-bye to Kristie with pageant pics


this weekend also proved to be a time of discovery. I learned several things I am most certainly terrible at:

1. Cutting hair. I have vowed to never endeavor to take scissors to anyone's head but my own; I can handle ruining my bangs, but when it comes to horrifying someone else's appearance, I will not stoop that low. Adam was getting his hair cut by Nathan. Nathan was lured away by Adrienne to watch the game, so Isaac took over;
I came over to photograph this nice brotherly bonding moment, when Adam asked if he could get the part above his ear done a bit more. Isaac took off, leaving me there. I stared in fear at that hair-buzzing device. I had never held one in my life. However, it always looked easy to do, so I picked it up and joked with Adam how he should be scared. At this moment, I had no idea that he really should be taking me seriously. So.... I held his ear back, angled the razor at an odd angle, and BZZZ...something wasn't....looking right.... "Oh my gosh, I am so sorry! Oh my gosh, Adam! I am so sorry!"I was bright red and humiliated.

Adam, being the bestest, most easy-going person in the world, assured me it was alright. Sure, he made jokes about one spot on his head feeling colder when he walked outside, or wishing he only had a hat, but he made me feel totally alright about my humiliating mistake. It looked so easy to do, but alas, things are not as they seem. Never are.

At first I wished I could crawl under a hole and hide my mistake/inadequacy, but given time and a little bit of introspection I realized that I can't win 'em all. Does that mean it's okay to make Adam look like a post-surgery patient? Nah. I should keep that to a minimum. But if a bad haircut is all that comes of a mistake and I can take so much learning from it, I would do it again--this next time, though, I'll take one for the team and do it on my own head. As my dad said, "What's the difference of a good haircut and a bad haircut?....Three days." Thanks, daddio, for that comfort. :)


2. Night driving downhill around turny corners: My turn came for driving tonight on the way back to Provo. As we went down Daniel's Canyon, I was constantly reminded by my car buddies (Adrienne, Nathan, & Kristie) how poor I am at night drivingdownhill around turny corners. I don't know if my 10-miles under the speed limit or my sweaty palms death-gripped to the steering wheel gave me away...

Comments