Week 56: Only in the service of our God

Heavenly Father loves me so deeply.
The week was incredible. Started out slow with sickness (not me), but we ended strong. On Sunday (yesterday) we had the first missionary coordination meeting that the ward has had in at least the last 6 weeks. I knew we were working hard, the best we knew how, but I wasn`t sure if we were making a difference, or if it was effective. Until this meeting. The bishop noted that he loved the excitement I came with, that we started to leave with a variety of members. 
There`s a mentality that missionaries want to baptize for numbers. I expressed (emotionally), that that is NOT why we are here. We are here to help them be converted. Each member of the bishopric expressed their happiness with the change that has come since I came. The bishop has even left to visit with us once. I was so touched. I don`t say this to brag. Rather, I feel a reverent feeling like Ammon in Alma 26:36: ¨Now if this is boasting, even so will I boast; for this is my life and my light, my joy and my salvation...¨ I realize how deeply imperfect I am, but as I have tried to pray more sincerely, fast with purpose, Heavenly Father has let me understand that yes, He will give unto us success (26:27) (Yes, I have a missionary lovecrush on Alma 26!) Ah, I don`t know how to express how deeply I love this work. I loved this week, because I took personal prayers very seriously to shed my heart out...and it makes a WORLD of difference. 
 I pray for those I met in my areas before. For my previous companion. For everything under the sun. For once, I feel I have a RELATIONSHIP with my Heavenly Father. Something I reverently cherish. 
The first day I got here, we met with the bishop and asked for 5 less-active families that the ward is working with to re-active. We went to visit Mabel. Was baptized 3 years ago, and has been inactive for 1 year.
In our first visit, she declared she wanted nothing
, but we asked if we could just share something small from the Liahona, which we brought for her. She permitted. 
Ah, she`s a character. I LOVE her! She`s hard on the outside and says she wants nothing, that this person wronged her, the Church offended her--this, that, and the other. But we listen. To her injustices. and we smile. And we joke. And we read the Book of Mormon with her. And every time, we go with members to help her feel their support. And we laugh with her. And we love her. Love her every crazy comment about going out to party. And we made balleadas with her to gain her trust. And we visit her as frequently as an investigator. And we coudn't see any difference. night this week we entered the house after a long, out-of-control lesson and asked ourselves if we should keep visiting, or if it is making an impact at all. We concluded that we can`t SEE it, but we FEEL that we need to continue. Because she needs it more than anything.

Then came around. No, she didn`t come to church. But, the bishop showed us something special... A tithing envelope. With her name.
That night after the lesson, she showed up to his house and paid her tithing. Said that she has problems keeping her from church, but she was touched in one of the visits and knew she needed to.
As I write this, being the emotional girl I am, I cry. Because it touches me so deeply. To know no one is a lost cause. That our job is to let the Spirit do His. That nothing we say will change her, but how she feels will. She has captured a very near part of my heart. We will never give up on her even though she`s given up on herself.

We have a new family that came to church. Despite the deep doctrine that was taught that we`re trying to help her understand, she is progressing. And I love her family!
Also, little Mormon Message gem: ¨Origin¨

Pic: The family that was baptized my last weekend in the area, and their daughters being baptized. :) Soooo special!!!!

Comments