Week 31: when the word ¨change¨ CHANGES


This week was THE most cRaZy week in all my mission. I´m still trying to understand it all.
In this week alone I´ve shuffled between being in my usual trio with Hna. Tolliver & Lopez (Monday-Wednesday), to being in a different area with a new companion, Hna. Guzman (she lives in our house, because in our ward, there are 2 companionships.) I moved from my trio to be in anormal, 2-people companionship with her (Wednesday-Thursday). Then Hermana Lopez got transferred Friday morning, putting me back into a new trio with Hermana Tolliver, Guzman, and I, and combining the two areas in our ward. And in the end, our dear Hermana Flake, whom was the companion of Hermana Guzman before all this craziness began, is leaving on a jet plane back home. I will miss her. She´s a beautiful, amazingly talented, hard-working sister from Tennessee whom sings to us in our beds songs that SHE writes, picks us up when we´re down. It´s interesting. Being the companion of the nurse, I´ve become Nurse #2. We talk through every problem that missionaries call in. I go to medical appointments. For example, emergency phone call during Sunday School, and whooooosh, off with go with President to the hospital for a hypochondriac that is more stressed than sick. I follow up with Hermana Tolliver on how they´re doing. And it´s a double lesson, in that it´s heart-breaking to see someone ready, willing, wanting to work hard, yet held back physically with problems that are not her fault. The week, no lie, was emotional... but the other half of the lesson is an absolute certainty that Heavenly Father knows EXACTLY where, with whom, and when He wants us to be where we are. I am in awe, literally (not figuratively) in amazed awe that of all the places for me to be, of all the areas to have a trio, it was one in which when someone fell sick, we could easily do divisions, easily remedy the potential problem. That Heavenly Father has this all in the works. 


Some questions that dwell on my mind, just about every day....
Who is my companion?
What area am I?
Where will I be tomorrow?
How do we report our dats... as two different areas, or as one?


Amidst the many changes, I feel so touched to finally feel like I have a very real example of how the gospel is changing the life of someone. Miriam. My favorite investigator (can I have a favorite? Maybe I shouldn´t say that...) Maybe it´s because she´s so natural, so outgoing, that I love her 4 year-old daughter like she´s related to me. He´s coming back to church. She´s investigating. Yesterday we were with them, and had a very touching lesson. Of how  she hasn´t smoked in 10 days, isn´t drinking 10 cups of coffee daily anymore. We laugh, plan, teach, share... they both have seen in their lives that they are getting along. They...... get this... are starting to read the Book of Mormon together.  He hasn´t read it in 14 years. 14 years of inactivity. And now they are there every Sunday, going to the Open House of the temple. Living Word of Wisdom. Reading scriptures. And I have seen the change in their home. It has a different spirit there. This is why I´m serving a mission. To bring this light to them. Maybe I'm not the world´s most successful missionary in numbers. Maybe sometimes I feel guilty for that, but believe me, I´m trying. One day at a time. It just matters so much. Sometimes I feel conflicted because I don´t know how to express it. Not even a language question. It´s a question of how to just... share so openly that I love this gospel. That I don´t even understand a part of all there is, but I love that part I do understand. That I wish I were a perfect teacher with an example, scriptures story, perfect knowledge of all the scriptures, but that´s not possible in THIS moment. Patience. Slowly. 

Love this week. 

Comments