Week 30: ... 16 days later

Never did I imagine in the dying hot sun of San Pedro Sula that one day I would be huddled in blankets, long-sleeved shirts, and sipping hot chocolate every night in my bed.  But low and behold, we´re getting a little taste of winter, Honduras-style. Lots of rain. Lots of layers, socks, blankets, and HOT CHOCOLATE. I might look forward to that snuggled-up-in-my-nice-warm-bed-moment every day. Things have been CRAZY, and for that I was not able to write last week. With my nurse-companion, we are in the mission office a couple days a week. For fun, I´ve picked up the responsibility of a mission newsletter. When we have office hours, I work on it. This week we had a member of the Seventy, Elder Maynes, come to the mission, so we were working to finish it in time. I felt so EMPTY not writing! These weeks have been so busy, but tell you what, the newsletter looked GOOD! :) 
As for the work, things are moving along. We´ve had 3 weddings, then baptisms--two being the same day. Double-wedding, double-baptism. It´s truly beautiful to see people changing their life, and how grateful they are for the opportunity to do what God wants. Makes me think of how.... I need to be here, in Honduras. To learn the faith that people here have. They truly recognize the hand of God in their lives, and want to obey Him. What a difference to a world where people don´t dare mention they believe in God for fear of ridicule. Sad contrast, but true nonetheless. We were talking as a companionship (we tend to do that a lot) :) We talked about why we are here, in this mission specifically. I think I´m here, specifically in this area for an investigator named Miriam. She reminds me a lot of me-- when she´s got questions, she wants answers. Doesn´t want a planned Lesson 1. She wants her question answered, and she adds a lot of life in the process. I really love teaching her, because the lessons are a conversation with answering her in a very natural way. Her husband and all his family are members, and so she´s got a support system, with him cominig back to church. On Sunday, we had 7 in sacrament meeting, and of them, 6 families. LOVED it! To see husband non-member becoming interested as the wife received the Holy Ghost, having just been baptized this same week. The work is powerful, and wonderful. Hearts are changing, people opening up their lives. Love to be a part of it. 
We had interviews with the mission president. The first thing he said, ¨I have something for you to do.¨ ¨Great, President. What can I do?¨ ¨Speak. Spanish.¨ ahhh! ha ha he knows that with 3 English-speakers, an English-speaking companion, that I´ve fallen from the whole Spanish business. Yeah, 7 months in the mission (5 in the field) and I´m still at the point with a North American accent. Sadness. It´s going great. That and I lit´rally tripped on a banana peel this week. 
We had some really growing experiences this week. One was how the Atonement is... everything. I don't even understand how, but I know that it heals. I know it changes. We were with an inactive lady, who said she has no desire to love anyone, and my heart just hurt for her. That whole afternoon I just... ahced for her. For some time, I thought my heart was in Africa and could never leave. True, part of it is there. But it´s starting to find a little place here. As I just slow down, try to stop fighting the culture (that's hard, believe me), and let myself make mistakes. Note: I´m not trying to make mistakes, but over and over every companion is telling me I expect perfection of out myself. At first, I just shrugged, laughed, and said it´s true. Now I´m trying to really analyze it and solve it with the Atonement. How that´s going to happen? Only He knows.
Today during our p-day, yes, we walked around a grocery store as stress-relief. I love Hermana Tolliver. :) We did divisions so Hermana Lopez could go play with the zone.

Love you all! Yes, I´ll be writing next week. :)








Comments