Week 3: Guatemala, baby!

Guatemala is such a party. It definitely is a different world that that of the Provo MTC. Namely speaking Spanish ALL the time. My companion is from Utah, Hermana Ericson. She is a super positive hermana who may be struggling with the language. And keeping all the rules. And so, that is turning out to be a fun combination. We get along, but I admit we are still getting in sync with each other. I am big on following the rules, so sometimes I think she gets annoyed, but I try to make it fun. This MTC is definitely a place of great learning. I felt like Provo MTC was just a little piece of heaven. Super spiritual, everything there, you could opt to speak in English
ALL the time. But here.... well.... it is Spanish (unless your companion refuses to speak it. Then it isnt Spanish) all the time, and they are huge big on rules. I think I mentioned the temple is right outside our back window. Oh! Something funny! They call the North Americans "Norties" and the natives "Latinos". It is said so casually, and not even derragatory at all. Just like... how you would separate people by grades in school. You´re a junior, you´re a senior. Same thing: you´re a nortie, you´re a latino. No biggie. We norties struggle to speak with the latinos at every chance. I´m sure they laugh their faces off, but they are so patient. We are pretty separated because the latinos are only here for 3 weeks, then they hit the field. So, they are separated all through the day except at meal times. Oh, and we have SNACK time. Ummmm, fat fat fat? :) I haven´t indulged (except last night=comfort food, mkay?), but I find it funny that we get a snack time. 
Something interesting: they constantly remind us to lock up any valuables we had. On the first day, they took our passports and cameras and locked them up for us. Then our closets have keys and locks, too. EVERYTHING. Alarm clocks, nice clothing, anything that could be sold. It´s pretty sad, but I guess it makes sense. I asked our teacher why they keep telling us to lock everything up (because latino teachers will tell you. it´s just a way of life=not weird at all). He said that a lot of the missionaries have only been members 1 or 2 years, so they have bad habits and don´t see it as wrong to take things. so.... yeah. pretty sad. I think it will be easier in=field because it´s you. and that companion. So, if something is missing, you kind of already know who it is. Versus here where there are 30 or so hermanas in the hall, and any could access your room (I´m still figuring out why the doors are always left open and unlocked.) So, many a=cultural=differences. But I´m loving it. Something special happening: so, in Provo our last week, all 5 hermanas in our branch sang "A Child´s Prayer" in Spanish and the other hermana played the HARP to it (legit). So, here, I´ve started teaching some of the latino hermanas the song in English. Their last week we´re going to sing in sacrament meeting, with the norties singing Spanish and the latinos in English. It´s so adorable to listen to them pronounce the words and sing it in a language they don´t know. I see now how I sound, and makes me even more grateful for their patience with me. That is probably the highlight of my day==seeing them at dinner and practicing the song. They want us to study and do everything in Spanish, which is definitely a challenge I am rising to meet.       
I love it here. They have a house that you teach " investigators" in. AKA we teach each other. But it is a real house around the corner, so it feels a lot like a normal teaching experience. We get to attend the temple next week, and I am soooo excited! Food is delicious, very rich. I am becoming a soup and rolls kind of person. SO delicious!     Love you all. mwa. 

Comments