I hurt a little bit

Excitedly, I emptied out a box marked "Books & Journals," dumping it on my bed to start organizing them.
Curiously, I picked up my journal from last year to see what I was doing on or close to this very day one year ago. I hurt a little bit:

"Tuesday, Aug. 24. 2010

Tonight is the eve of my upcoming departure...wow. I feel like no matter what I write here now is sufficient to conclude a summer of tremendous growth, realizations, laughter, maturity, and memories--yet by not writing I feel guilty.
Today I said all my good-byes. I pride myself in neither feeling nor showing emotion, but when I said good-bye to the kids at Rose & Paul's, my heart tore and I leaked a few tears. I wondered when I will ever see these kids again--these sweet, innocent, God-loving kids: Collin, who taught me logrythms. Morrine, who so kindly welcomes me and latches to me as a sister. Samuel, my favorite shy, scared, picked-on boy who doesn't know how to give hugs. Mary, so eager and excited to please. Freddy, my trustworthy teammate with a grin on his face. Amos, with his deep laugh while he's still so young. Joyce (Amos's sister) who sweetly works with a shy smile on her face. Fiona and Venitia, whom I can NEVER tell apart. Camia and his dancing...
I was there to facilitate the plans of the chicken coop-so I had difficulty in beings oft-minded while there. I had so much business to do! Paul caught me by surprise and told me, "When they see this coop, they think school, and they get so excited. They ask me, "Daddy, will we go to school this term?" I say, "God will have you go, " and they are so happy.
Hanna and I ate our last luscious meal of Rose's g-nut, matoke & pineapple, then had to hurry on our way. We said good-bye to the kids, then started to hop on our boda. Paul pulled me aside to tell me some of the kids thought we were just leaving back to Lugazi, then return the next day or week.
Ooh, my heart hurt.
He gathered them together and asked who understood our g-bye. Morrine explained to the younger--we were going back to America. -This is when the tears came. I tried to blink them off, with the kids all looking at me, but they saw. 
I looked over their faces, trying to etch them in my mind forever--Samuel's usual disturbed look, Freddy's bright grin, Collin's happiness, all the smiles, and some tears. I never want to forget them."



Comments