A simple question. A not-so-simple answer.

A friend asked a simple question:

"What have you enjoyed most being away?"

The simple question stumped me for an entire day--the answer is not-so-simple.

What have I enjoyed most being away?

The unfamiliar environment?
The distance?
The work I do?
The new start?

I certainly enjoy that I have no crutches
Being face to face with me.
Independence of making financially costly decisions: what apartment to get for myself, insurance, furnishing an apartment... an adventure not provided in the safe confines of a college lifestyle.
Feeling empowered to push myself in a career. 
Diversity of surroundings-truly, a breath of fresh air-learning so much of the world around me.
First time in the U.S. to MOVE to a foreign environment. Africa and Honduras were different because I was a foreigner moving in to an obviously different environment--a whole new country. Now, I am moving to a somewhat-similar environment, but foreign to me. Provo doesn't constitute "foreign."
There was more of me to discover that I just wasn't finding in Utah. 
I don't know better but to be genuine; not one to mask feelings anymore. I'm tired of hiding, trying to appear perfect. It's just time to be me, with all my weaknesses and imperfections

Independence.
Not independence to run rampant and "go off the deep end" since there is no one to tell me what to do, as I'm in a city where nobody knows me. True, it would be much easier to "fall off the deep end" where no one knows me, in a city of 390,000 people. But, my move here is like our move from our heavenly home to earth. My parents, currently, are separated physically from me. Just as our Heavenly Father. But, they still support and love, as does our Heavenly Father. I love the freedom of choice He has given me to shape and mold my life how I want to. I'm grateful my parents took the 23 years teaching me right from wrong, because now I am able to be independent-- but not lose myself in it.


Starting over with new faces in new places doesn't hurt, either. :)


So, what have I enjoyed most being away?


Independence


Comments