What I didn't expect

When I packed my life belongings into my little car and started the 26-hour (in reality, 42-hour) drive with my mom to Cleveland, Ohio, I never realized how badly I needed this life of new beginnings.



I was apprehensive in coming. In part, I'll be honest, I was coming out of desperation--needing to leave behind some recent pain of endings. I didn't expect much from my cross-country move, and I was okay with that. My focus was escape.

But what I didn't expect was....

to be treated so kindly at work--having two and a half days off to enjoy with my mom in Cleveland



to be welcomed so warmly by my new roommate---and temporary roommates



to feel confirmation after confirmation of peace that this is exactly where I need to be, right now, right here
to come to love the sometimes-deserted-downtown-streets
to drain my bank account so quickly in the costs of settling in
to come to love those in my church branch so deeply, so quickly
to prefer Menchies over Yogurtland

to receive so much help from branch members when car issues arose
to make a new best friend so quickly
to succeed at work and be recognized for my contributions

to be so content here I can't wait for the year to continue



Comments